Sunday, July 24, 2011

Week 6 - Young Hye

This week I shadowed Burn ICU. Early in the morning, residents and fellow went through pre-rounding, going over the list of patients to be covered in the afternoon rounding. Then saw arterial line replacement. Then afternoon rounding. Contrary to what I've expected, this rounding consisted of doctors, nurses, PAs, and even pharmacist talking outside of the patients room and discussing patients conditions. It seemed to me that while residents and fellow were more focused on vital signs and the medications that have been administered to, the doctor asked questions on the status of burn. I was surprised to see fellow and residents not knowing the answer to the surgeon's question on the status of patients' burns. There were babies with hand, arm burns. They were placed in hydrotherapy rooms. It was painful to watch babies crying with the burns.

I also watched Dr Schwartz's surgery; it was a left cerebral tumor resection of a breast cancer patient with bone mets. Brachytherapy inserted. It felt good to be back in the OR. I think I'm going to miss watching the surgeries when I go back to Ithaca.

As for the project, I briefly met up with Dr Vahdat on Friday morning to discuss how to end the project, etc. Contrary to what I've worried about my project, I think I'll be able to get a substantial amount of data. I also set up another experiment at Vivek's lab, which didn't work well since the surface treatment of the microwells wore off and the collagen didn't stay on microwells.

No comments:

Post a Comment