Thursday, July 21, 2011

Week 5 .....Poornima

This week was as usual as it could be. I met Dr.Frayer again at the beginning of the week for rounds in the NICU. It was interesting again to observe the health of the babies I saw on the previous Friday. Some of them were doing really good and about to go home; it was nice to see some very pleased parents. I continued on my long experiments for almost every afternoon this week and made some good progress with data collection. This week also allowed me to see a wide range of surgeries. One patient underwent a resection of a glioblastoma multiforme, since GBM’s have undefined boundaries there is a possibility of tumor revival. This does point towards a need for better imaging or dyes that would make tumor boundaries more prominent. Another patient had an operation for shunt in the left temporal and right frontal lobe. But due to glitches on the software, they could insert only one shunt. For this surgery, the patient has the shunting tube inserted from the peritoneal cavity all the way upto the brain and into the ventricle to drain the excess CSF. Another surgery involved a patient undergoing laparoscopic rectopexy and intraoperative colonoscopy. Moreover, I observed a plastic surgery too. It certainly did stand out from all the surgeries I have seen earlier. It was a facial reconstruction surgery for small boy with burn injuries. I finally got to see the silicon tissue expander. It was inserted into the neck that allowed the tissue to expand over a period of two months, enough to cover the face of the patient.

Later during the week, I attended clinic with Dr Schwartz. Saw a lot of patients in different stages of their treatment. I learnt a lot more about disease and symptom progression in the case of lesions, malignant and benign tumors.

No comments:

Post a Comment