Friday, July 8, 2011

week 4 Goff

This week was relatively uneventful due to the long weekend. I had to travel back to Ithaca over the weekend to make micro-strain gauges as part of an experiment I am running over the summer for my thesis. Due to the timing of the strain gauge procedure I had to come back mid-day Tuesday.

During the week I worked on my research and followed Dr. Cunningham through his rounds again. This week's rounds were interesting since I actually saw a patient I watched undergo surgery. I saw her pre-op, during op and post-op and was able to see the difference that surgery made to her condition. She had initially come in with severe leg pain and Dr. Cunningham had determined that she had a cyst pushing on her spinal cord. Her surgery was relatively short and the majority of the time had seemed to be spent with the opening and closing of the patient, but it had apparently had a significant effect.

I believe I am done with one portion of my research in the lab where I am taking DAPI and TUNEL stain images of cells and automating the quantification of the live cells vs dead cells. To spice up the blog I'm attaching some of the images. The images are organized as folllows: DAPI stain, TUNEL stain, Total number of cells, and Total number of dead cells. In the program it counts each different color cells in the total images as a different cell.




No comments:

Post a Comment