Wednesday, July 6, 2011

W3 Liz Two-photon Microscopy in the lab

I remember something Dr. Frayer said at our weekly meeting, “most doctors have no idea what [engineering students] are capable of.” As I begin immersing myself in the laboratory aspect of my project, I can see the truth of this statement and the potential impact I truly have this summer.

I am designing an in vivo model to track the migration of bone marrow derived cells (BMDCs) during glioblastoma tumorigenesis. Using two-photon microscopy (2PM) and cranial window implants we can observe up to 1mm into the mouse brain. With the cranial window implant we can image the same animal for up to two months. This new technique will complement current techniques in Dr. Greenfield’s lab such as IHC histology and flow cytometry and will allow us to answer questions such as:

  • · How do BMDCs organize themselves in the tumor microenvironment?
  • · Do BMDCs incorporate themselves into existing vasculature?
  • · Is there a role in vasculogenesis?
  • · Over what time period do these interactions occur?

This week I became familiar with the 2PM facilities at Weill Cornell Medical College, checking to make sure we have the appropriate filters and wavelengths ranges. I conducted a few test experiments with ex vivo samples of another lab member.

I am using technology that already exists and applying it to a new application. Moreover, it is beneficial for Dr. Greenfield’s lab because they are excited about using 2PM but don’t know how to begin using it. I really enjoy teaching people in the lab how to prepare for imaging sessions and showing them all the amazing things that can be done with 2PM. I’m really seeing the bridge that crosses engineering to oncology research to surgery where I see patients having tumors resected.

Looking forward to more awesome things.

1 comment:

  1. Superb information you have shared friend. I am glad i found your post. It's feels great i learned new ideas from you.

    microtome depot

    ReplyDelete